I'll be using this blog for the time being to update family and friends on our hurricane situation.
We left early Thursday to avoid evacuation traffic and made it to Austin painlessly. No traffic and no gas shortages at the time we left. We have stocked up here in Austin on water and nonperisable foods for when we do return. We are going to wait in Austin until we know there will be no problem obtaining gas and the road ways are clear.
As of now our apartment is not liveable. Our neighbors who stayed behind have checked out our apartment and informed us that there is a few inches of water in our bedroom due to structural damage to the apartment above us. We do have a place to stay in Houston when we do go back until our apartment is put back together.
We can't get a hold of our insurance company until atleast Monday and even then are not sure flooding is covered in our renters insuance package. I will continue to post here to keep everyone updated to save airwaves for people who need it for emergency.