Monday, September 7, 2009

crafts from scraps continued.....

[and then some because we all know i can't stick to anyONEthing for very long]

Photobucket
Here we are getting ready for a week of patchwork...... WHAT? Yes. I know. It took me by surprise too. Not only did I start my very first [small] patchwork project and finish it, BUT I started another [smallish] patchwork project and finished that one too. Unfortunately, I think I am all patchworked out and there will be no quilts anytime soon. I imagine that will change when we get up to Washington and find that quilts are needed for more than just sitting on, you know, like to keep us warm.

Ok, on to the completed projects:
Photobucket
It started with a doll quilt. Then I realized my poor girl does not have a doll, just a [mama made] elephant. So we made a doll, and I say we because Bella was very very involved. She helped me pick out what her dress would look like and stopped to hug the doll a often as possible. She even took it to bed with her for nap before she had eyes, mouth and hair. Talk about time well spent! She also loves to go around and tell people "mama made it". Precious.
Photobucket
Dolly also joins us at the table now for at least one meal a day.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Patchwork recovery day - another lunch sack. I LOVE this pattern. I added a little depth to the lunch sack because the original isn't quite big enough to accommodate a pregnant mama's lunch needs. The original pattern is from Linen, Wool, Cotton: 25 Simple Projects to Sew with Natural Fabrics (Make Good: Crafts + Life) by Akiko Mano. I do not own the book, but found a free tutorial from it online months ago. [I can't find the link anymore but do still have the pdf is anyone is interested]. The book looks awesome I've been through it in the book store more times than I care to admit. It really is next on my list. Really.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This bag took me a couple of days. And honestly, I am not in love with the end result. It was really good at getting rid of a bunch of little scraps of fabric in colors I wouldn't normally use. On a more positive note I think the detail in this bag looks really good. I feel like I might be stepping up from beginner seamstress to intermediate. Maybe.

For friends:
I've made over 30 sandwich bags and snack bags in the last few days.
Photobucket
Photobucket
What I've realized: making things in large batches is not fun! It is fun using different fabrics I wouldn't pick out for myself like glittery white spider webs with creepy black spiders. [I can't wait to be a mama of a little boy] I also like helping people get rid of the plastics in their everyday life. Was it worth it? YES! I will make some for you too if you give up plastic bags! I won't go into global warming here even though it is nice and fresh in my mind after watching The Inconvenient Truth.

I'll leave you with this: Best Friends.
Photobucket
Photobucket

p.s. It looks like sewmamasew.com/blog2 might have a month of scrap busters in October. woooohoooo!
p.s.s. Dolly and patchwork bag were made from patterns from this magazine. Projects from handmade home are already in progress. Stay Tuned.
inspiration

1 comment:

Crisa said...

So cute and very inspiring. I saw your bag yesterday and LOVED it! I love little girls and dolls and I can't wait to see all the fun stuff you're going to make for her. BTW I HAD to go out and buy Soule Momma's book after I saw you on Thur. Now I've just added two more projects to my table!