Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Very Basic T-shirt Disaster

If I had to choose one word to describe this shirt it would be.... UGH! I figure each garment, whether I wear it or not, is gained experience. Here is what I learned from this one:

Never buy plus size patterns with size 2 models on the front. Usually I am good at picking out what would or would not be flattering on me and I was so so very wrong with this one. Secondly, what is the point of making your own clothes when they are so so boring! I mean this top looks worse than most things I would try on in a store. I try to ignore the fabric because this was free fabric I was practicing on but even with nice fabric in a color that didn't look like hospital scrubs this is boring. Thirdly, I took the time to do all the suggested measurements and ended up making it two sizes bigger than I wear in the stores and the end result, although not a flattering cut, fits perfectly. I love when clothes just lay on you not hug you. Also, the practice with sewing on knits with my regular machine is always appreciated. I think I got the hem looking... wearable. I ended up serging (<3<3<3) the raw edge and then hemming it with my sewing machine. The pattern recommended using a double needle which I want to attempt at some point with something that doesn't make me look like I'm wearing scrubs. [yes I realize this is the most boring detailed sewing post yet, but this is what excites me]

Photobucket
Photobucket
Try to use your imagination to make these two bad pictures into one good picture.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Lets add up some points!
* 5 points per yard of fabric used
* 10 points for fabric being vintage, thrifted or upcycled
* 3 points for every pattern used that you've never sewn before
* 10 points for using a pattern/fabric you've had for more than a year
* 20 points for integrating a SCRAP (not a piece of fabric you cut) less than 1/2 yard into your garment

+5 points - for one yard of fabric
+10 points - for the fabric being thrifted
+3 points - for never having used the pattern
+10 points - for using a pattern that i've had for 3+ years
-20 points - for knowing I will never wear this and now having to find this pattern a new home! [i decided this needed to be added to really evaluate this project hehe]

total: 8 points!

Next project:
Photobucket

Oh, and I've been making these for Bella's friend's birthday gifts. We have had a surprising number of them this season!
Photobucket

Do you recognize it from anywhere?


2 comments:

Jenny said...

Maybe it's the pictures, but it looks good to me- and as you said, you gotta learn, learn, learn. I always find that patterns run small too. Maybe you could add some trim around the neckline?

Emily Brown said...

The two shirts I've made most recent are too big. Maybe its because I like wearing my clothes too tight, because I do all the measurements before cutting it out. The part I don't really like is that the arm holes are too big and hang down. It definitely needs some trim! But I am not crazy about the neckline at all. I think this will be a pajama top.